A well-stocked First Aid kit is essential on every vessel and dive trip by boat or from the shore.
Good-quality, ready-made First Aid kits are available through numerous retail outlets and workplace safety support businesses.
If making your own, St. John recommends the following items as the minimum requirements:
- Triangular bandages (2)
- Roller bandages‐ 50mm (1 roll) and 75 mm (1 roll)
- Sterile gauze‐ 7.5 x 7.5 (2)
- Adhesive wound dressing ‐ 6 cm wide x 1 metre long (1 strip)
- Plaster strip dressings (1 packet)
- Adhesive tape‐ 25mm hypoallergenic (1 roll)
- Sterile non‐adhesive pads‐ small (2) and large (3)
- Sterile eye pad, Eyewash container and Eyewash solution‐ Saline Steritube 30ml (1)
- Antiseptic solution‐ Chlorhexidine Steritube 30ml (4)
- Safety pins (1 card), Scissors (1 pair), Splinter forceps (1 pair), Disposable gloves (2 pairs)
- Space blanket
- Accident registers and pencil
- First Aid Manual and a Card listing local emergency numbers
It's vital to ensure your First Aid kit stays well stocked. The above list helps guarantee this when completing a regularly scheduled audit.
Typical injuries to be prepared for when boating and diving include falls, cuts, fishhooks, stings, and bites.