Only make a Mayday call on your VHF radio if you are in imminent danger and need immediate help. You don’t need to hold a VHF license to make a Mayday call. Anyone onboard can!
The procedure for making a Mayday call is: ‐
Turn your VHF radio to channel 16
Say the following:
- “MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY”
- “This is [vessel name]” three times
- “Callsign [of the vessel]” once
- "MAYDAY [vessel name and callsign]".
- "[bearing and distance from known landmark]".
- (use your GPS coordinates, if available)
- "[nature of distress and assistance required]".
- "[any other information, e.g., number of persons onboard]."
Allow a short time. If no reply is forthcoming, repeat your Mayday.